Saratoga Biochar Solutions (SBS) provides the most sustainable use of biosolids to the benefit of human health and the environment.
Recovering Resources Responsibly.
We provide an “essential service” that alleviates a growing problem.
We provide an “essential substitute” for harmful chemical fertilizers.
We provide an “essential GHG reduction.”
The most sustainable use of biosolids to the benefit of human health and the environment.
Transforms dirty industries into green industries.
- Provides a substitute for biosolids waste disposal.
- Provides a substitute for chemical fertilizers.
Manufactures bio fertilizers responsibly.
- Recovers resources to the greatest extent possible.
- Eliminates PFAS and other contaminants.
- Reduces greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions.
- Reduces harmful, regulated air emissions.
Sequesters carbon in soil where it is needed.
- Reduces fertilizer consumption.
- Reduces nutrient pollution in waterways.
The Biosolids Problem is Getting Worse
Biosolids disposal is a major source of GHG emissions and a material cost to New Yorkers.
The biosolids disposal problem in NY is getting worse with no inexpensive solution in sight.
We create a “beneficial use” byproduct that destroys PFAS and other contaminants.
We solve a costly problem that local governments have with biosolids disposal.
Biosolids recycling options are becoming constrained by their contaminants.
Waste Not: How We Solve the Biosolids Problem
Click on an item to view an in-depth explanation.
- Destroys PFAS, VOCs, microplastics, pathogens, and other contaminants in biosolids.
- Achieves lowest emissions of any biosolids disposal method that remediates PFAS.
- Reduces GHG emissions from biosolids disposal and chemical fertilizer manufacturing.
- Sequesters beneficial carbon in soil where it is needed.
Ensuring our air emissions are safe, our GHG emissions are low, and our odors are impeccably managed are the primary factors that will determine our success with public utilities.
SBS employs benchmark air treatment to protect human health and our reputation.
- Building Design – Contains fugitive odor from biosolids receiving and processing.
- Pyrolysis – Separates PFAS and contaminants from biosolids.
- Thermal Oxidation – Staged combustion reduces NOx and removes PFAS and contaminants.
- High-efficiency Dry Cyclones – Recover most of the dried material.
- Wet Venturi Scrubber – Removes the remaining fine particles.
- Hydrated Lime Scrubber – Removes sulfur dioxide (SO₂) and neutralize odor compounds.
- Ammonia Scrubber – Removes ammonia (NH₄) odors.
- Dual-stage Bio-scrubbers – Polishes odors and further removesSO₂.
Biosolids have traces of many contaminants, including PFAS, that must be remediated.
- Pharmaceutical products, micro-plastics, hormones, cleaners, oils, fats, greases, VOCs and many other contaminants that make their way into sewage.
- These contaminants make it through the drying stage of our competitors and are present in all dried biosolids products that are currently sold and distributed nation-wide (i.e., Milorganite).
- In the SBS process, these contaminants are separated from the solids in the pyrolysis stage.
- Once in a gaseous form these contaminants are quickly destroyed by thermal oxidation.
Pyrolysis is a decontamination technology that works extremely well with biosolids.
- Dried biosolids are heated in an oxygen-free environment at over 1,100°F for up to 30 minutes which causes even the toughest contaminants to separate and become part of the syngas.
- Syngas is kept hot for the several seconds of its existence to ensure molecules don’t start reconnecting and forming air emissions.
- PFAS compounds are liberated from solids into a volatile gas state where they are destroyed by thermal oxidation (>1,600°F).
- Syngas is thermally oxidized in stages to achieve the lowest NOx emissions possible.
Pyrolysis has been similarly used to remediate soil contaminants for decades, albeit without the advanced air treatment solution that we employ.
Advantages of Carbon Fertilizer™
Carbon Fertilizer™ is a revolutionary bio-fertilizer made entirely from wasted bio-resources that is designed to sequester carbon and rejuvenate soils.
Made in USA from American organic matter, carbon and nutrients.
Sequesters its weight in greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions when applied to soil.
Produced from biosolids and wood waste.
Biosolids contaminants are fully remediated.
Slowly releases nutrients “as needed.”
Decreases nutrient runoff/losses.
Virtually impossible to over-fertilize.
Increases soil moisture and nutrient retention.
Increases soil carbon.